Brushing your teeth is an important part of your dental care routine. For a healthy mouth and smile, the NDA recommends you:
Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth allowing you to reach all areas easily.
Replace your toothbrush every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. A worn toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth.
Make sure to use an NDA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.
The proper brushing technique is to:
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes.
Of course, brushing your teeth is only a part of a complete dental care routine. You should also make sure to:
- Clean between teeth daily once a day. Tooth decay-causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This helps remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet that limits sugary beverages and snacks.
- See your dentist regularly for prevention and treatment of oral disease.
- Talk to your dentist about what types of dental products will be most effective for you.
The NDA Seal lets you know the product has met NDA criteria for safety and effectiveness. Look for the NDA Seal on fluoride toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, oral irrigators, mouth rinses and other oral hygiene products.